Last week I stared knitting another hat for the Soaring Eagles Project. I was hoping to send in a couple more hats before the deadline. The first 3 hats I made were pretty simple because all I had to do was knit. I decided to try doing a ribbed hat for something different. What I found out this past week is that I really need to practice purling!
I can knit just fine, but purling is another story. Every time I had to purl I went much slower, and I started to notice odd things: small holes, yarn at weird angles, lines that weren’t matching up. I kept working on the hat all week, but it just wasn’t looking right. I really didn’t want to start over on the hat, but I finally realized that if I finished this hat, I would be really embarrassed to give it away! I am too much of a perfectionist to let anyone see something I did if I don’t think it looks very good. So, today I ripped the yarn out and I will start over on this hat.
You probably can’t tell from this picture, but this yarn has flecks of blue, green and yellow in it. I thought it was a nice change from the variegated yarn I used last time.
As I mentioned before, I don’t have a swift or ball winder. I’d like to cast on for this hat again tomorrow, but I have to make a center pull ball of yarn first, and that might take too long to start knitting right away.
At least I knew I wasn’t ready to try knitting Christmas gifts this year! I’d be driving myself crazy right now! :)